When to See a Podiatrist

If you have foot pain or your feet are causing problems with walking and running, see an orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist, or your regular doctor.

Diagnosing the problem requires a few tests. Your doctor will look for an arch in your feet as you stand on your toes. If an arch exists, you don’t need treatment for flat feet. Your doctor will also look for flexion in your ankle.

If you’re having difficulty flexing your foot or an arch doesn’t appear, your doctor will order more tests, such as a foot X-ray or a scan to examine the bones and tendons in your feet.